How hypnotherapy can help with low self-esteem and lack of self confidence
As we go through life, we tend to evaluate ourselves and others according to a scale of worth. The idea of self esteem is the amount of value that we consider we are worth. As you can imagine, these values vary from person to person. Whilst we might rate ourselves as being of little value, others might rate us much higher. But if we get into the habit of thinking negatively about ourselves, then low self esteem, or placing little value on ourselves, is the result.
Low self esteem can be a result of negative life experiences, particularly when we’re young and most vulnerable. These experiences may include being criticised or judged negatively, such as from a parent or school bullies. As adults, abusive relationships and very stressful life events can also cause low self esteem.
Low self esteem can remain low, because of our own self-critical thoughts, which can be triggered by criticism, or perceived criticism (even if non is intended, we believe we are being criticised).
Hypnotherapy is uniquely suited to working with the content of the subconscious. Its therefore very effective for helping you improve your self confidence and self-esteem. During the deep relaxation of the hypnotic trance, the subconscious is more receptive. I can then help you update your views of yourself using words, images and emotions. As a result of what can be a powerful transformation, past distortions and negative inputs are corrected.
Consequently you become more able to challenge old, negative views. Furthermore you start to perceive yourself accurately and positively, in more areas of your life. You begin to find from experience that you are not as bad as you thought you were. You give yourself credit where it’s due. Setbacks are most often temporary. They’re not a reflection on you personally, unless you allow them to be. You start to give yourself the benefit of the doubt. Allowing you to encourage and support your efforts to live the life you want.
Some strive for it
Some fear it
Some just naturally have it….
Five tips to boost your confidence and self-esteem
- Teach people how to treat you. People treat you according to how you think about yourself. If you expect to be walked all over, dismissed and ignored, you most certainly will be. If you find that you need to teach people how to treat you, change the way you treat yourself.
- Keep a note of when your confidence is up, and also when it’s down. Who were you with? What was the situation? Simply becoming aware of your actions will make it easier to start changing them.
- Smile. People who are confident tend to smile more often. And we all know people are attracted to smiles.
- Focus. Keep focused on what you want, rather than what you don’t want. Our thoughts are more powerful than we realise, so keep it positive.
- Just do it. Take action, even though it may well be tough at first, keep going and never ever give in. It’s a fact that all new habits require persistence and repetition.
Learn from the experience
Having confidence doesn’t mean that you should expect to succeed all the time or be perfect. Having self-esteem and confidence means that whether you make it or fail, you don’t take it as a reflection of your own personal self-worth. You learn from the experience and still value and respect yourself.
Negative content reduces confidence.
For one reason or another we unconsciously accept the negative or false input from influential or important figures in our early lives. That negative content reduces confidence and reinforces a low opinion of ourselves. Our thoughts really do influence our future experiences, with roughly a third of them being the same every day, what we repeat to ourselves has a huge impact on our confidence.
This can affect some or all areas of our lives, including health, work and relationships.It’s also important to realise that a lack of confidence or low self-esteem is a key part of anxiety, phobias, weight / eating disorders, depression and even addictions. So with an increase in your confidence and self-esteem brings a notable and effective route to making changes in your life.